Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I need more stuff.

I've finally put up all my Christmas decorations. This is my third Christmas in my house. The first year, I didn't put up any decorations because I was just moving in. I needed to get my bed put together, hang sheets over the windows that didn't have blinds or curtains yet, and buy lamps.

The second year, last year, I got rolling. I hung icicle lights along the front of the house and put some lights in the little dwarf tree in my front yard. I have this crappy little multi-colored angel tube-light thing I bought years ago that I put out. And I put lights on my armoire in my living room (the armoire holds my tv, and is thus, always open). I even bought my first tree - a pre-lit fake one that I expect to have a long time. It was great!

So, why, this year, when I pulled it all out and put it all up, did it look so sad and sparse? It looked like I thought about decorating, but then lost interest. I kept looking around, like there must be another box of stuff somewhere that I could put out. I need garland. And lighted yard stuff. Not the blow-up Santas and snowmen - you wake up every morning to find them crumpled on the lawn. I mean the lighted reindeer or Christmas gift thingees. I need some of those. And a fireplace with a mantle - I need one of those.

And yet, if I buy more now, it'll eat at me to see it all on 70% off clearance in 3 weeks. I'll mentally add up how much extra I paid by having to have it all NOW (and you don't want me doing math in my head - trust me on that), and then I won't really love it the same way. It'll be a constant reminder of my momentary impatience and fiscal irresponsbility. Do I really want the innocent reindeer, once so coveted, to become instruments of self-loathing?? I can't live like that!!! I'm already going to have to pay full-price for a wreath hanger. I got a wreath last year on clearance, but I couldn't find any hangers. I hear those are pretty cheap, though, so I'll move on that. But all the other stuff...must...wait...until...clearance.

2 comments:

Judy said...

This year was like a new Christmas here. We couldn't remember what we had gotten on clearance last year until we pulled it all out of the attic!

Definitely wait - it will make next year so much more EXCITING!

I have some blue lights if you want them. I have no idea where we got them!

Judy said...

Hey - you freezing up there yet? It is ouchy cold here - cancelled all activities at the church tonight - WAHOO! No choir practice for me, baby!

You and your mom want to go to lunch sometime soon? I was just thinking how close we are and we never see each other - I hesitate to mention it, but the outlet mall would be nice (GASP!!!). Just the dern crowds this time of year. If your mom knows of a place in SM, maybe we can meet there! I am a free woman, thanks to Tyler no longer being attached to my boobies and ready to roam (as long as I can get the free babysitting - Scott!).