Thursday, December 22, 2005

Finally, the HOLIDAY is here!

I've been MIA - I know! I've been looking at my blog for days, knowing I needed to post, but it's just been low on the list of things I *must* do to get ready for Christmas!

I had some last-minute shopping, then last-minute wrapping, then last-minute social engagements, then last-minute work stuff, last-minute packing, last-minute baking - it's been insane, I tell ya!!!

But I'm finally on holiday. I'm finally off work for 4 whole days, and I'm out of town where none of my usual distractions can keep me from my online obligation to my adoring public...both of you out there must be so relieved.

I'm immersed in the loving embrace of my niece and nephew, and the loving tolerance of the adults in my immediate family. I am surrounded by baked goods, recliners and nonstop basketball and football games. Tomorrow my mom and I are going to venture out and see the Princess Di exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

A favorite pastime of people in Austin is to rip on Houston (Oh, the traffic! Oh, the humidity! Oh, the pollution! yadda, yadda) But I grew up here, and while I'm very happy with my life in Austin, I admit freely that there are times I miss Houston. It's got everything. It's got every sport you could want to watch and every kind of cultural or artistic endeavor you could be interested in. All the major shows, be it concerts or sporting events (the Super Bowl anyone?) or museum exhibits, etc., make a stop here. You can catch a non-stop flight to anywhere in the world. You're an hour from the beach. There's every kind of food. There's nothing you could possibly need that you can't get, probably the same day. There's the best medical care in the world. And while there are plenty of opportunities to dress up and enjoy puttin' on your ritz, it's also much more laid back and casual than Dallas. And the city just plain has it together. Whether it's putting on a huge event, building a massive freeway project, or evacuating millions in 48 hours ahead of a hurricane, this city just plain gets it done. They know what they're doing and how to do it, on time and on budget and right. How freakin' long has it taken Austin to build the freeway at I-35 and Ben White?? Oh yeah - it's still not done!!!

So, anyone who doesn't know Houston, don't listen to the haters. It's a great city - it really is. I'm happy to be here with my fam, the opportunity to avail myself of this great city, and so very happy to be able to concentrate for a little while on the real meaning of this holiday - the gift that God gave the world in his son Jesus. I've been so busy this season, I haven't thought about that as much as I should have. I hope I'll be able to focus a little on that in the next few days. I'm so blessed in my life, and I'm so grateful for all that God has given me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Scott and I get into the "why we left the Houston area" talk quite often, but I always come back to the reasons why I miss it so much! Astros, the museum district, Katy Mills Mall, my grandmother, and the zoo are just a few!