Monday, September 14, 2009

Put down the phone, ma'am.

Why, oh why, do some people insist on making me actually speak to them?

I emailed someone to ask if I could interview them for something. I gave them a general timeframe - "Is there a day/time in the next couple of weeks I could interview you?" kinda thing. Does this person respond with, "Absolutely. How about Tuesday at 1pm?" Of course not.

I get back, "Yes, I'd be happy to help. Call and arrange a date and time, preferably in the late afternoon and not at the end of the month or on the 1st."

Um...first of all, I gave you the next two weeks as my timeframe. So, that kinda sorta means the end of the month or the 1st isn't on the table.

Secondly, why do I have to call you? We're corresponding on email, and I've already said I'd work around you, so just tell me now - on email, in a correspondence that we're already having - the day and time you want to do it. That's all. Phone calls and actual conversations that will unquestionably take longer than a quick email are *unnecessary* and annoying.

If there's explanation that's necessary or confusion about something, etc., that makes a conversation more efficient than email, then fine. Let's talk. But if I'm just setting a simple appointment, utilize the technology, people. Email is more efficient...and I don't have to actually talk to anyone. Everybody wins.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Call me and we can talk about your communication issues. I am a therapist, so you might as well use me.

smiles.

Suzanne said...

Re-read the first two lines of your comment, Tif. Now, re-read my post. (I post. But no one listens.)