Thursday, September 17, 2009

I wanna hold your hand...

One of the things that makes me happy is seeing an older couple walking down the street holding hands.

The act of holding hands is an expression both of affection and connection - maybe even possession, though not in the scary, abusive sense of the word that implies, "I own this person," but rather, "I choose this person."

When I see an older couple holding hands - when I know that they've been together for decades and they still want to express that affection - that they still want to purposely act to show the world and the other person, "I choose THIS man/woman, among all the men and women that there are" - that they don't take the other person and their presence for granted, well, it puts a lump in my throat. The good kind.

No comments: