Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas cards

If I've blogged before about this, I apologize (I'm far too lazy to actually go look and see if I have). On second thought, I don't apologize, because the fact that I need to blog about it again means I must not have gotten through to everyone the first time, so really, it's your own fault that I'm blogging about it again. If I've already blogged about it.

I'm talking about Christmas cards. I send Christmas cards every year, and I enjoy getting them. I love the letter kind where people tell you about their year, and I also really like the kind with photos. (Though I'll admit right now, I've been bad about not sending either of those kind in the past myself.) Christmas cards are one of those "touching base" kinda things where you can stay in touch with people you don't keep up with otherwise - not even on a blog or Facebook. It's a "Hello! I still remember you exist!" and "This is what I look like now!"

Except that I've found that for most people, it's *not* a "This is what I look like now!" It's a "This is what my kids look like now!" Here's the thing about that. Unless I have a relationship with your kids, I'm way more interested in how YOU look. YOU are the one I know, not your kids. I know your kids exist, and a *family* picture showing you and your kids is interesting - I like to see if I can spot resemblances and it helps me remember your kids aren't toddlers anymore. But if the only photo you send is of your kid, I gotta tell you, I'm disappointed. When I see that photo, all I'm really wondering is what YOU look like - you...my friend...the person I know.

So, I'll make you a deal. Next year, I will try to send a card with a photo that has ME in it, and you send a card with a photo that has YOU in it. I may even get crazy and try to write a letter to go with mine. But that's not part of the deal - that's just a thought I'm having now, with 364 days to go until next Christmas. The deal just includes the photo. And yes, the photo must be recent.

3 comments:

Johnny Austin said...

Deal!

Judy said...

I figure you see enough of my ugly mug on my blog to know what I look like right now, and the kids are WAY cuter than I could ever be at this point, hahaha. But, I did think about that this year. We're already planning for next year's Christmas photo...too bad I'm taking this fabulous trip next week and not later in 2009 - makes it hard to save for those 2009 Christmas cards, you know. And next year? I'll try and throw in a letter (I used to be good about stuff like that...). :-)

Tiffany said...

Did you guys get my Christmas Card. We had us and the kids in it. And luckily you do have and will continue to have a great relationship with me and my kids as you continue to come to reunions. I did not get one from you but that is ok since this is my first year sending one to you and J together. J never sends one, but now that he is with you I hope to get one each and every year from here on out.