Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Thanks for your help?

When I changed my old house into a rental property, I had to change my homeowners insurance policy. I ended up changing companies, which means I got a refund for part of the preemium on the old policy that I cancelled. My mortgage company sent me a letter and told me to send that payment to them to put into my escrow account, but they didn't give me instructions on how to do so (how to endorse the check, etc.).

So, I called the customer service number on the letter. After bypassing as much of the phone tree as possible by pushing "0" at every available turn, I got a person pretty quickly on the line. I told her what I needed, and she proceeded to ask me a series of questions - my loan number and various security questions to verify who I am, etc. I patiently answered everything, and at the end of all that, she informed me that she couldn't actually answer my question. She would have to pass me to someone in a different department who actually handled that issue, and oh, by the way, I would have to answer all the same verification/security questions to that lady.

So....if you knew up front that you couldn't help me and that you would be transferring me, and you knew that whoever you transferred me to would put me through all those security questions, why did you just put me through them all yourself? Do you really need to know all of that information just to say the words, "I'll need to transfer you?" Because you knew you'd need to transfer me as soon as I told you what I needed. Efficiency at its finest.

Oh, and for the record, the letter was wrong. I'm not supposed to send the mortgage company the refund check. I'm supposed to deposit it and send them a personal check in the same amount, but made out to them, with a sticky note telling them to deposit it in my escrow account. Now, that sounds official, doesn't it?

I quake for the financial future of this country.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Soooo typical. At least YOU have internet.